Cayenne Plastic Coolant Tubes

Cayenne Plastic Coolant Tubes

Postby dnovack » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:20 pm

While doing some research on Electronically Stored Information, a hot topic in legal circles, I came across the following piece of litigation pending in the United States District Court for the Southern District of Ohio.

IN RE: PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC. PLASTIC COOLANT TUBES PRODUCTS LIABILITY LITIGATION

Case No. 2:11-md-2233

UNITED STATES DISTRICT COURT FOR THE SOUTHERN DISTRICT OF OHIO, EASTERN DIVISION

2012 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 7999

This is a collection of complaints, including some class actions, from all over the country arising from an alleged defect in plastic coolant tubes in the Cayenne. While the complaint claims that it applies to all years and all models of Cayennes, the allegations seem to suggest that it really applies to the V-8 motor from 2003 to 2006 or there about.

If you own or owned one of these cars in New Jersey, you are probably a member of this putative class. You may want to keep track of this case which has only been around for about 10 months or so, meaning it probably has a long way to go.

More importantly, however, if you own one of these cars and you have not had the OEM repair to exchange plastic tubes for aluminum pipes, you may want to look at it. According to the complaint, the failure can be catastrophic and cause damage to ancillariy components like the starter and the transmission seals.

Most of the complaints seem to start with a low coolant warning light. The owner topped up the coolant which extinguished the light, but failed to follow up on the root cause of the lost coolant. Then the tubes failed and the coolant was allegedly released into the engine compartment.
Former Fearless Leader (FFL)
'04 GT3
'92 964 Carrera Cup (US)
'92 911 Turbo S2
Gaggle of 914's
dnovack
More than 50 posts

Re: Cayenne Plastic Coolant Tubes

Postby HoosierDaddy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:09 am

Thanks for posting this, FFL. I've been shopping the (used) Cayenne Turbo market and this has been an area of concern. Some dealers are open and honest about whether the units have been repaired/updated, and others -- "Uh, I never heard of that issue." Sounds like the best way to approach this is to just budget the extra few grand to have the fix done on your own.

This also might be the first in a few other piece of litigation, namely the coolant hose/fittings in the GT1 (Metzger) engines. As of this time, Porsche has completely denied any issue with the coolant fitting glue that dries out and creates a sudden dump of all coolant on rear tires. This issue has caused enough concern (and track trouble) that one Ohio region DE program has dictated the use of water/water wetter “only” in GT3 (and Turbo) cars registered for there track events. Mighty bold step for something Porsche won't acknowledge. Again -- maybe the solution is to just have the fix done on our own dime. Trouble most have had until know is that Porsche has said that all permanent solutions void their warranty; which has been a huge bone of contention to guys and gals looking to take the proactive step of safety. My dealer flatly denies any issue -- silly as the wry smile that pops up on the service advisors face at each mention tells me he has been given his marching orders.

Please keep us posted to all this type of info! It's most appreciated.

HD
HoosierDaddy
More than 50 posts

Postby 177mph » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:58 am

Ah - the benefits of air cooled cars.......
177mph
More than 50 posts

Postby HoosierDaddy » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:31 am

177mph wrote:Ah - the benefits of air cooled cars.......

... yea, the slow ones.
HoosierDaddy
More than 50 posts

Postby dnovack » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

While I have not inspected one of the 8 cylinder motors in a Cayenne, there appear to be a single "lower coolant pipe" which is part no. 948.106.049.07 and a triple "heater coolant pipe" which is part no. 948.106.059.05. These are the plastic pipes which are prone to failure and which are to be replaced pursuant to the service bulletin. From the pictures, the heater coolant pipe seems to be on the top of the motor. On inspection, you should be able to tell if the pipe is plastic or aluminum.

Not certain if you can see the lower coolant pipe without putting the car on lift. Hard to imagine that an owner or dealer would fix one and not the other.

The bulletin applies only to Cayennes MY2003-MY2006 and to the 8 cylinder motor. From the bulletin, it looks as though it is a 6 hour job, plus the cost of the parts.
'04 GT3
'92 964 Carrera Cup (US)
'92 911 Turbo S2
Gaggle of 914's
dnovack
More than 50 posts

Postby schoward » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but this issue is still ongoing....

Question -- Since apparently there was a bulletin for this, would a dealer complete the fix as a bulletin/recall for a certfied pre-owned for N/C? Or are dealers refusing to address unless the tubes actually cause a problem.

Car in question is a '06 Cayenne S still under Cert Pre Owned warr status.

Thanks.
1981 911SC targa - Platinum
schoward
Less than 20 posts

Postby HoosierDaddy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 am

schoward wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old topic but this issue is still ongoing....

Question -- Since apparently there was a bulletin for this, would a dealer complete the fix as a bulletin/recall for a certfied pre-owned for N/C? Or are dealers refusing to address unless the tubes actually cause a problem.

Car in question is a '06 Cayenne S still under Cert Pre Owned warr status.

Thanks.

Hi - I cannot see why the dealer wouldn't repair without charge if the truck is currently under a Porsche CPO. That would also cover all issues that arise due to the leaking coolant tubes. If the truck's coolant tubes are leaking I would research where and what else might be affected so you're armed for the battle if something develops later down the line. Good luck and keep the forum updated.
HoosierDaddy
More than 50 posts

Postby dnovack » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:06 pm

If I recall correctly, the problem was that there was no recall on the truck for this problem. As a result, if the parts failed during the warranty period, the fix was covered. If the parts failed after the warranty expired, no coverage.

I do not believe that PCNA or the dealers were being proactive about this issue and replacing coolant tubes that had not yet failed. That's what the lawsuit was about.

This is not an unusual position for a manufacturer to take, partcularly if the potentially defective part or design is not safety related.
'04 GT3
'92 964 Carrera Cup (US)
'92 911 Turbo S2
Gaggle of 914's
dnovack
More than 50 posts

Return to Cayenne