Northern New Jersey Region, Porsche Club of America
A Brief History 1957 – 2012
1957 - NNJR was chartered on August 24, during the second Porsche Parade in Washington D.C. There were 30 original members, nine of which had belonged to the Porsche Club of America since its inception in 1955.
- The first NNJR Picnic was held the same month and included a Rally and Concours d'Elegance.
- The first newsletter was published in September and was two pages in length.
- Total membership, at the end of the year, was 58 persons.
1958 - First Technical Session was conducted and a Gymkhana Program was started.
1960 - First NNJR New Member Liaison Group was formed and membership grew to 76.
- The first Dreyfus Trophy Rally was held.
1961 - NNJR relinquished members in Monmouth, Atlantic, Cape May and Ocean Counties due to the formation of the Jersey Shore Region. Total loss was 15 persons leaving 85 members at the end of the year.
1962 - First Tri-State Porscherama took place at Lime Rock with NNJR members participating in all events.
- The Charles Fowler Participation Award Program was begun.
1963 - First major article on NNJR appeared in the March issue of Porsche Panorama and membership grew to exceed 100.
1964 - First Slide Night was held, at the Governor Morris Hotel, on October 10.
1965 - Treasury reached a balance of $746.87 and membership climbed to 120.
1968 - Membership dropped to 100 resulting in an examination of membership requirements.
1969 - Open membership policy was instituted. Previous program required sponsorship of the prospective member and attendance at three consecutive events before the Board of Governors could approve the application.
- The first general Monthly Meeting was held on January 13 at Norel's in Denville during a blizzard. Five people attended.
1971 - The first NNJR Driver Education Track Event took place on May 1 at Lime Rock Park.
- Hard-wired head set communication equipment built for track communications.
1972 - First Gourmet Dinner Tour was held. Membership reached 250.
- Last NNJR Hillclimb at Hobo Hill.
1973 - NNJR was selected to co-host the 1974 Porsche Parade and Dennis Thovson was named General Parade Chairman.
- NNJR relinquishes Burlington, Camden, Cumberland, Gloucester, Part of Mercer, and Salem Counties to Schattenbaum Region. Dennis Thovson, as Zone 1 Representative, presents Schattenbaum its Charter.
- First National gas crisis (remember those long lines to get 5 gallons).
- Dennis Thovson appointed as Zone 1 Representative.
1974 - First club van, a 1964 VW Bus, was purchased and restored to running condition by NNJR members.
- NNJR hosts 1974 Porsche Parade at Pocono Manor, PA.
- Dick & Harriet Carlson Family awarded PCA Family of the Year at the Porsche Parade in Pocono Manor, PA.
1975 - First Scholarship Program was established with Morris County Vo-Tech.
- NNJR granted a license to conduct Autocross events in the State of New Jersey.
- First annual Joe Reid "gourmand" tour.
- Doug Troyer appointed as Zone 1 Representative.
1976 - First two-day Drivers Education Event took place at Lime Rock Park.
- Membership reached 324.
1977 - A used 1973 Ford Van replaced the VW Bus.
- The first Rookie Weekend was held on April 23 - 24.
- The first NNJR Drivers Education at Watkins Glen took place.
- Activities, throughout the year, included a Tennis Party, Clam Bake and trip to the Culinary Institute of America.
- NNJR was awarded Region of the Year.
- NNJR celebrates its 20th Anniversary at the King George Inn in Warren. NNJR Honorary Life Memberships were awarded to: Charles Fowler (Founding President), Lake Underwood & Bengt Soderstrom
1978 - NNJR won Region of the Year again -- the first Region to be awarded this honor two years in a row.
- Ralph & Tylee Stoesser family awarded PCA Family of the Year at the Porsche Parade in Aspen, CO.
- First Octoberfest event took place.
- The "Kid's Rally" was instituted for the benefit of Children's Specialized Hospital in Mountainside, New Jersey.
- Membership grew to 468.
1981 - The Charles Mulhern Concours d'Elegance perpetual award established.
1982 - NNJR celebrates its 25th Anniversary.
- NNJR purchased its first FM Band Portable Radios for Track Communication.
- An eight page booklet on Autocrossing was published by the Region.
1983 - Dennis Thovson Elected PCA National Treasurer
1984 - A new 1984 Ford Van was purchased.
- John Paterek honored as PCA Enthusiast of the Year (for 1983) at the Appleton, WI Porsche Parade.
1985 - NNJR was awarded Region of the Year, for the third time.
- Dennis Thovson Elected PCA National Vice President.
- John Paterek appointed to National Technical Committee as Body/Paint and Upholstery/Interiors contact. - NNJR Membership exceeded 1,000 with a growth of over 10%.
1986 - A car control clinic was introduced as part of the Autocross Program.
1987 - The first Annual Charity (Chinese) Auction fund raising event was held for the benefit of Children's Specialized Hospital in Mountainside.
- The 30th Anniversary Lawn Party was held at the Frelinghuysen Arboretum
- NNJR was awarded Region of the Year for the fourth time.
- Dennis Thovson Elected PCA National President.
- Bob Moir appointed at Zone 1 Representative.
1988 - Charity (Chinese) Auction Fund Raising Event held for the benefit of the Seeing Eye of Morristown.
- Fifties Party at the Old Mill Inn.
- NNJR attends East Coast debut of Porsche Indy Car at the Meadowlands.
1989 - Vendor Appreciation Night was introduced.
1990 - NNJR made its first contribution to Paul Newman's Hole In The Wall Gang Camp for children with cancer and serious blood disorders.
- NNJR wins Region of the Year for the fifth time!
- Dennis Thovson awarded Honorary Life Membership in NNJR.
1991 - The first "Shop Till You Drop" excursion was held in conjunction with a visit to the Berman Auto Museum in Allentown, PA.
- Membership exceeds 1,500.
- The special Dealer Liaison Program was begun.
- NNJR was awarded first place in the Pirelli Public Service Competition ... based upon the Charity (Chinese) Auction Event and contribution to The Seeing Eye Institute.
1992 - NNJR celebrates its 35th anniversary at the King's Road Vineyard in Pattenburg, NJ
- The first Tryautothon is held, replacing Rookie Weekend, and the first New Member News was printed and distributed.
- A new 1992 GMC Van is purchased. The 1984 Ford Van retained for use by the expanded PX.
- First Mid-winter Track Seminar for novices held at Tracey's Nine Mile House.
1993 - Membership exceeds 1700 with 364 new members.
- NNJR's first Club Race (with Metro NY) at Bridgehampton.
- First Charity Softball Game with WDHA/FM.
- Porscheforus (Joan Moir Editor) received the Paul Heinmiller Award at the Cincinnati Porsche Parade for best overall newsletter in PCA for 1992.
1993 - Bill Walsh Award for excellence in Porsche related photography begun.
1994 - Autocross participation reaches 152 at the Meadowlands and 542 members participate in the Autocross series for the year.
1995 - $20,000 raised for the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp during the Charity (Chinese) Auction.
- 1811 members participate in driver's ed events for the year.
- Membership exceeds 1800 with 381 new members.
- Bob Moir Memorial Award instituted for most improved driver.
1996 - First "Old Rascals Night" held recognizing NNJR members with 10 or more years in PCA. 11 Past Presidents were in attendance.
- Car Care Specialties takes over management of Goodie Store.
- Over $17,000 raised for charity. NNJR wins First Prize in the 1996 Pirelli Public Service contest awarded at the 1997 San Antonio Porsche Parade.
1997 - NNJR Membership July 31, 1997 stands at 1865 enthusiastic members.
- Indoor driving event held at Speedway 17. Amid many “crashes” smooth driving won the day!
- NNJR celebrates 40th anniversary at Swaebische Alb, Warren, NJ.
1998 - NNJR is the first PCA Region to reach 2,000 members.
- PCA Family of the Year awarded to the Novack family at the Steamboat Springs, CO Porsche Parade
- NNJR Web site was developed by Bob Michaelson.
- Zone 1 Autocross hosted by NNJR at the Meadowlands and Fairleigh Dickenson University – Teaneck.
- NNJR purchased new GMC 2500 heavy-duty cargo van.
- NNJR held its fifth Club Race at Pocono.
1999 - NNJR held its sixth Club Race at Pocono.
- Porsche PX reformulated for the sale specialized NNJR-PCA logo wearing apparel.
- More than $16,000 raised for charity. For the third time, NNJR won first prize in the 1999 Pirelli Public Service contest awarded at the Sacramento, CA Porsche Parade.
2000 - Porscheforus (Greg Apicella, Editor) judged first in Class 5 (the largest PCA regions) in the Parade Newsletter Contest.
- NNJR held its seventh Club Race at Pocono.
- First Rally School held in March prior to the Rally Season.
2001 - Porscheforus judged first in Class 5 for the second straight year.
- NNJR President’s Award for recognition of outstanding service to the region is created. Marlys Thovson is the first recipient.
- Christian Garibaldi appointed to the national PCA Technical Committee as Porsche 930 Turbo contact expert.
- NNJR held its eighth Club Race at Pocono.
- Hurley Haywood, Renown Porsche Race Driver, speaks at Monthly Meeting
- NNJR completes its 30th year of Driver’s Education. First Driver’s Ed at VIR.
2002 - NNJR celebrates its 45th Anniversary. 540 Members attend the celebration at the Springdale House (formerly the Schwaebische Alb) in Warren, NJ.
- NNJR sponsors Zone 1 Concours and Rally. Proceeds totaled more than $10,000, which were donated to the Hole in the Wall Gang Camp. Charter Member Lake Underwood was Honored Guest and Speaker.
- 30th Annual Wine Tasting (accompanied by elegant food!) hosted by Paul Steck and Dennis Thovson.
- First Ladies Day Driver Ed at Pocono.
- Stu Zeh appointed to PCA National Parade Committee and Director of Competitive Events.
2003 - Seventeenth Annual Charity (Chinese) Auction held to benefit Court Appointed Special Advocates (represent children in legal proceedings). Raised over $13,000.
- NNJR receives National PCA Public Service Award at the 2003 Porsche Parade in Tampa, FL.
- PNC Bank Arts Center added as an Autocross site.
- Continued support of the Formula SAE project at Rutgers State University.
2004 - Porscherama Weekend returns to the calendar. First event held at Pocono Raceway and Split Rock Lodge. Hurricane Ivan submerges the first day!
- First annual Advanced Driver’s Seminar developed and conducted by Bill Gilbert.
- 30th Annual Concours Preservation Workshop conducted by John and Ray Paterek.
- Porsche Race and Rally driver Vic Elford speaks at monthly membership meeting to an audience of over 300.
- 45th Rene Dreyfus Memorial Rally held.
- NNJR web site completely revised and updated by John Flynn.
- David Novack appointed to the National PCA Legal Committee.
- Stu Zeh appointed National PCA Sponsorship and Public Relations Chairman
2005 - Chris Economaki speaks at January monthly membership meeting to audience of 250.
- 2nd annual Advanced Driver’s Seminar conducted by Bill Gilbert and hosted by Ray Catena Porsche.
- Porscheforus cover goes full-color!
- NNJR acquires its 26 ft enclosed trailer for DE and Autocross use.
- Advanced Autocross Timing and Scoring system developed by Dennis Thovson.
- Annual Charity Auction in December raises $16,000 for the Work Readiness Unit of Employment Horizons.
2006 - NNJR awarded the Ferry Porsche Trophy for Region of the Year for the sixth time at the 2006 Parade!
- 3rd annual Advanced Performance Driving Seminar conducted by Ross Bentley.
- David E. Davis well known automotive writer and editor speaks at monthly membership meeting to an audience of over 200.
- Third annual “New” Porscherama held at Pocono to a sell-out crowd.
- Annual Charity Auction raises $16,300 for the School-to-Career Transition Services of Employment Horizons.
- Total primary membership 12/31/2006 reaches 2,264; plus 1754 Family/Affiliate members for a total of 4018 members.
2007 - NNJR kicks off its 50th Anniversary Year with the Second Old Rascal’s Night (the first was in 1996) honoring long-time members of the Region. It was a sell-out.
- NNJR celebrates its 50th Anniversary with a gala Summer Celebration and Car Show at the Forest Lodge in Warren.
- Overnight Trek to Hershey to visit Antique Auto Museum of America.
- Fourth annual Porscherama held at Pocono
- Noted speakers during 2007: David Murry spoke at our Advanced Driving Seminar; Bryce Miller, son of Paul Miller and a race driver, and Brock Yates spoke at monthly meetings during the year.
- Annual Charity Auction raises $17,800 for Employment Horizons.
2008 - Noted speakers during 2008: Darren Law spoke at the Advanced Driving Seminar; Jeff Mahl presented a program on the 1908 “Great Race;” Leonard Turner, spoke about photography for Panorama.
- First DE at the new NJ Motorsport Park Thunderbolt track.
- Fifth Porscherama at Pocono.
- Annual Charity Auction raises $15,850 for Employment Horizons.
2009 - Noted Speakers for 2010: Randy Pobst spoke at our Advanced Driving Seminar; Michael Keyser, noted driver, writer and movie maker spoke at our May meeting.
- Last Pocono Porscherama (sigh!)
- Don Yuhas – NNJR’s first 50-year members.
- Annual Charity Auction raises $16,500 for Employment Horizons.
2010 - Noted speakers in 2010: Ross Bentley spoke at our Advanced Driving Seminar; Bryce Miller entertained us with his racing experiences.
- Driver Ed at the new Monticello race track.
- Trek to visit the Simeone Auto Museum in Phildelphia.
- Red Mill Museum Concours d’Elegance.
- Annual Charity Auction raises $17,000 for the Somerset Hills Learning Institute for autistic children.
2011 - Noted speakers in 2011: David Murry spoke at our Advanced Driving Seminar; Patrick Long, Porsche Factory race driver, spoke about his experiences driving for the Porsche.
- Meadowlands new Stadium parking lots again available for autocrossing!
- Charity Auction raises $20, 280 for the Somerset Hills Learning Institute for autistic children.
2012 - Our 55th Anniversary Year!
- Noted speakers in 2012: Brian Till spoke at our Advanced Driving Seminar; Andrew Davis, Brumos Porsche driver, spoke about driving for Brumos.
- Record participation for the Ladies Day DE at Pocono.
- Gala 55th Anniversary Celebration and Car Show at the Harbor Hills Picnic Grove in Mendham.
- Marlys Thovson awarded Honorary Life Membership in NNJR for her long service as NNJR’s Secretary since 1974
TO BE CONTINUED BY THE ENTHUSIASTIC NNJR MEMBERS!
First 45+ Years: 1957 - 2005
NNJR Charter Members
Eugene Broberg *
J. Howard Bryan
G. Harry Cusak
Charles Fowler *
Theodore Garrick *
Joseph Hilton *
Robert Jamison *
Wesley Mock, Jr.
David Preis *
Norman Rose *
*Member since 1955
Northern New Jersey Region
Rick & Laurel Townsend
Ada & John Byrnes
Carol & Ken Geiger
Melissa Hyland & Greg Apicella
Life Honorary Members
Bob Holbert, Sr
National PCA Awards
Region of the Year
1977, 1978, 1985, 1987, 1990
Family of the Year
Dick & Harriet Carlson & family - 1974
Ralph & Tylee Stoesser & family - 1978
David & Arlene Novack & family - 1998
Enthusiast of the Year
John Paterek- 1984
Paul R. Heinmiller Award
Best Overall Newsletter for 1992
Joan Moir, Editor
Northern New Jersey Region
Charles Fowler (1956 - 1957)
Lake Underwood (1958)
Lawrence Leins (1959)
Lawrence Weintrob (1960)
Ed Hunter (1961 - 1962)
Charles Mulhern (1963)
Milton McWilliams (1964)
Philip Pratt (1965)
Harry Slates (1966)
Bill Oldenboom (1967)
Charles Heckman (1968)
Dennis Thovson (1969 - 1972)
Rick Townsend (1973)
Douglas Troyer (1974)
Ralph Stoesser (1975 - 1976)
Alan Singer (1977 - 1978)
Laurel Townsend (1979 - 1980)
Jack Gorman (1981 - 1982)
Bob Moir (1983 - 1985)
Charles Booher (1986 - 1987)
Richard Schmidt (1988)
Ciro Petti (1989 - 1990)
Bob Winer (1991 - 1992)
Ken Geiger (1993-1994)
Ford Shaw (1995-1996)
Bob Michaelson (1997-1998)
Arlene Novack (1999-2000)
Neil Selest (2001-2002)
Bill Gilbert (2003-2004)
David Novack (2005-)
About this site:
This site is maintained by Northern New Jersey Region, Inc., Porsche Club of America, Inc.
All information on the site is Copyright © 1999-2004 Northern New Jersey Region, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Information is for the use of it's members. Information on this site may be used by PCA members provided proper attribution is given.
Dr. Ing. h.c.f. Porsche AG is the exclusive owner of the registered trademarks PORSCHE, the PORSCHE CREST, CARRERA and TARGA, and their use requires permission from Porsche AG. Unauthorized use of these trademarks is a violation of U.S. trademark law and may subject the user to prosecution and liability.